Saturday, May 26, 2007

Rocky Point - sun and sand

First off - Happy Birthday Mom! I hope you have a wonderful day and I'm thrilled that I'm able to spend it with you.



So, while in RP there are many activities that are available if you are seeking more than just sunbathing and lounging. I usually do just that but I have done most of the activities below on one trip down there or another and they are always very fun.

The activities won't come as a huge surprise - there's parasailing and like every vacation spot on the water, they have banana boats...just be careful to pay attention, my friend Kirsten got caught in the rope last year and she isn't too anxious to get back on the banana any time soon. :)

Land activities include sand volleyball which is always a fun way to meet other visitors. You can also rent ATVs and roll out onto the dunes - but if you've never done it, just be prepared that your hands will be very sore the next day from holding on! And pulled straight out of a romance novel - you can horseback ride on the beach. And even though I have no idea what the name of this activity is...they have a flying dune buggy looking contraption that seems a bit like a death wish but it's always fascinated me - so if you happen to be down there and are feeling lucky, let me know how it goes! :)

The last activity that I would highly recommend is to head into town and do a little haggling shopping. You can find pretty much any chotchke you can think of and some really fun souvenirs. The last time I went, I brought back a beer holster for my boyfriend...yes, you read that correctly - beer holster. It's made of leather and has the emblem of the beer of your choice and it attaches to any belt. My point is, they have everything! Brush up on your negotiation skills and never take the first price! PS - you can always find fresh shrimp and I highly recommend buying some to bring home...yum!

3 Comments:

Kirsten said...

I adore my RP purchases...my silver jewelry, shrimp, whatever they are selling. :)

Let's go back soon!

K

Kirsten said...

p.s. yeah, the banana boats, always my favorite, almost killed me last time I was there.

I am not sure if it was the 4 Tecate Lights I drank before hopping on, or the fact that I was holding on with one hand and standing up on the boat, but I fell off, got caught in the rope and was dragged under the boat for what felt like a lifetime.

Not good. I was sore for a week. Ride the boats, but with caution. :)

Melanie said...

Kirsten -

I agree, I always find the best deals down there. I still LOVE my silver ring I got last year...it cracks me up when people ask where I got it, expecting me to say Tiffany or somewhere really nice. Ahh, my (haggled down) $8 ring from RP...gotta love it! :)

M