Monday, May 28, 2007

Rocky Point - learn from experience

After many visits to RP, I've learned a few things along the way that I thought I'd share with you. First off, if you drive...stop by Vazquez (a large store on your left on your way through town). You can stock up on supplies such as tequila, mixers, snacks, etc. Plus, there is a GREAT little taco stand - emphasis on little - that is located in a parking space right in front of Vazquez and is always busy with both locals and those in the know. Additionally, there is a family-run shop next door (actually 2 doors down) that makes the best homemade tortillas in...well, probably the entire country of Mexico - I'm telling you, they are delicious. You will undoubtedly will see the little old lady that runs it and she doesn't speak a lick of English.

I will assume that at some point you will be in a car and if not, it's still useful advice for any time you are traveling through Mexico. Beware of the Policia - they really do pull you over for anything (especially if you look like a tourist) and they really will haul you to jail. If that is the case, do EVERYTHING you can to avoid it and yes, they really do take bribes. I pray that you don't ever have to find out but it's always good to know...just in case.

My last little tidbit is a reminder that due to the stricter policies that are being enforced - you now need a passport to fly there and starting at the beginning of 2008, you'll need a passport to drive across the border. So be sure you have one and it's not expired! :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Its good to know that to get out of trouble with the police all I need to do is throw down some cash. You've got to love the justice system in mexico. love the site keep up the great work.

J

Unknown said...

J-

Hopefully you'll never need to use the advice I provided! :) Thanks for checking in, it's great to know others are enjoying my posts.

M

Kirsten said...

Hmmm, yeah, I am still pissed about that $40 I paid that "cop" in RP.

Never again!! :)

Great tip on the taco stand and tortillas, my favorite!!

Melanie said...

Kirsten -

Yeah we learned the hard way with the "stop sign cop" but at least we now know to put the top up in the convertible, lower the music and HOPE we can go unnoticed! :)

M