Saturday, May 12, 2007

Rocky Point - tacos, shrimp and margaritas

One of the best parts about going to Mexico is the fantastic and authentic food options!! I know many people get leery of "little taco stands" but I can tell you that if you know where to go, you'll never find food that can compare. Here are my choices of where to go - there are actually quite a few options but after exploring many, I have narrowed it down...it was tough research! :)

The Point - by far one of the coolest places in Rocky Point because it's built over the water and on, well...stilts. It's at the point of the beach separating Sandy Beach from Las Conchas and can be seen from pretty much anywhere along the water. One of my favorite things is to go there, order a margarita (they are the size of your head) and an American shrimp cocktail - if you don't say "American" it will be the Mexican version which is more like a ceviche - then sit, relax and look out at the water.

Playa Bonita - my favorite happy hour spot. It's right on the beach and is the perfect location to watch the sunset while enjoying delicious food and festive music. Technically there is a restaurant and hotel - both are great but the restaurant is where I typically go and the patio is vast with plenty of room for everyone to enjoy a little fiesta!

La Curva - this is a fairly new one for me that I came across on this trip, thanks to my friend Ali. She and her family have been going down to RP for years and she's definitely someone I trust when it comes to finding the right places to eat! La Curva is ideal for breakfast - it's traditional, the menu is broken English and varied Spanish and the food is excellent! They serve warm tortillas alongside your meal and they are buttery and delicious. As you can see on the sign, they cater to Americans - I laughed when I saw "Mexican USA food."

Manny's - now this one I would recommend for daytime only unless you are looking for a dance party. After the sun goes down, Manny's is the hottest ticket in town, blasting The Humpty Dance every obnoxious American song known to man. Now...don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I haven't partaken in the past but most people enjoy the more relaxing moments in Rocky Point so I wanted to at least spell out what to expect.

Casa del Capitan - I wanted to include one spot for the lovebirds. This is the most expensive on my list and if you are looking for a romantic locale, this place should definitely be on your list. It's located at the top of the highest hill in town and overlooks the water - sunsets are gorgeous. They offer both seafood and Mexican fare and typically there is live music.


PS - Happy Mother's Day to all of you wonderful Moms out there :)

7 Comments:

Melanie said...

Biby -

Thanks for stopping by! Definitely check back, I update weekly and do a different location each month.

M

Anonymous said...

M,

I love your site. It gives me some great ideas for future travel destinations. Keep showing us the hidden hotspots.

J

Melanie said...

J-

Thanks for the kind words. I always love hearing from fellow travel-lovers. :)

M

Kirsten said...

This is only half the RP story...can't wait to hear more, and more, and more...

Hopefully I'll be along for research.

You also should consider Arizona Wine Country for a very unique trip - just skip the Miracle Mile hotels if you know what I mean :)

Melanie said...

Kirsten -

RP is beyond words but hopefully I'm doing it some justice!

AZ wine country is on the list...stay tuned! :)

M

Lib said...

HOW can you degrade my beloved Humpty Dance I ask you?!? You know that you have memorized choreography that you will bust out at a moments notice when you hear those sweet nasally lyrics. I will respect the sanctity of RP's quiet charm as you've described it beautifully, but let's try to tone down the musical blasphemies in future posts, shall we? :-)

Lib

Melanie said...

Lib-

I don't deny loving The Humpty Dance - just in the right context...and yes...I have choreography. :)

M