Saturday, April 14, 2007

Siesta Key - fun in the sun

Now I have to say from my own personal experience, I typically don't do much in terms of activities while I'm there.


Siesta Key - Day in the life of Melanie:
1. Wake up
2. Breakfast on the lanai or patio
3. Head to beach with munchies and drinks
(time lapse of 6-8 hours)
4. Dinner at home or in the Village
5. Night swim in the pool
Repeat :)

So...I'll do my best to describe the activities that are available - which is pretty much anything you can do in an island atmosphere. Aside from laying on the beach (which is now established as being my favorite activity), there's also a few others to explore. I'll break them up into Sand, Water and City.

Sand - probably one of the most popular pastimes is shell collecting. I've found huge sand dollars completely in tact, those cute little curly-que ones, large iridescent ones, you name it. The best place to hunt for shells is Turtle Beach - it was recently restored after suffering from some erosion issues so it should be back to top shape. Aside from shells, there's beach volleyball and sand castles (there are amazing artists that participate in the annual competition in early May each year - it's unbelievable).

Water - there's pretty much an endless amount of water sports and activities. Including jet skis, boats, parasailing, sailing, fishing, snorkeling, etc. I could go on to name every...single...one but I think you get the point. :)

City - there are tons of great little boutiques all over the island that are very fun to browse and bring home souvenirs. Additionally, another great shopping spot is St. Armand's Circle on Lido Key (pron. lee-doe). You'll find a variety of upscale shops and cafes, it's a great place to visit if you're looking for some real shopping. And I can't talk about activities without mentioning the Mote Marine Aquarium. It features sea life found off Florida's coast, but it also serves as a research facility and you can even tour the laboratory! You'll find sharks, sea turtles, dolphins, sting rays (that you can touch), eels and manatees (my favorite).

0 Comments: